GREEN PROGRAM FOR WATER PROTECTION AND SUPPLY
PHASE OUT TWO WORST WATER USING INDUSTRIES
- Stop battery/factory farming.
Irrigating of crops for food for livestock in factory farms uses and pollutes with chemicals 28% of our water .There are many other health and environment advantages to stopping battery farming.
- Phase out coal and nuclear power fast. These use huge amounts of water.
REHABILITATE WATER CATCHMENT AREAS
- Stop the Working for water project in its present form which is achieving exactly the opposite to working for water.
- Extensive Restoration of water catchment areas and reforestation of river banks with indigenous trees to control flow of water into the rivers. Removing trees from the banks creates exposed soil and soil erosion which .silts up dams and rivers. Trees control the flow of water into the rivers preventing floods.
- Extensive reforestation everywhere.to increase rainfall.
Israel planted 26 000 000 trees and increased its rainfall by 10%
- Implement Israeli style flood water catchment and storage in dry areas.
- Slow the velocity of run of of rainfall to get good infiltration into the soil and prevent erosion and flooding.
ELIMINATE UNECESSARY WATER LOSS
Instead of building new dams which are a problem to the ecosystems in themselves, we have to stop the loss of water in our pipes and catch the rainwater from our rooves. Before we completely run out, we may have to stop piped water in any pipe system that has not been checked for leaks.
- Replumbing of the whole country to rectify the enormous amount being lost in leaking pipes. 25% of the at least 23% of all loss from water pipes is just in schools due to poor maintenance of sanitation by the department. 19 000 000 liters of water a day are lost in Port Elizabeth schools alone.
- Replumbing so that drinking water is not used for sewerage
End of water borne sanitation in all but dense urban areas and replacement by dry self composting loos where possible ( so that waste can become a resource) OR
Circular self contained biologically recycled water borne sanitation cleansed by sunlight, reed beds, wetlands and worms. Also use of baffling to oxygenate and revitalise the water.
- State of the art biological water recycling plants.
WATER USE REDUCED. DISPOSAL OF MOST WASTE IN WATER STOPPED.
There is no way that existing and proposed expanding water requiring industries will continue to be able to be sustained against the projected failing water supplies, YET THE GOVERNMENT HAS TAKEN NO APPROPRIATE ACTION TO AVERT EFFECT OF THE PENDING LOW WATER LEVELS.with the exception of putting a hold on golf course development.
- Instead of advancing blind into allowing indiscriminate use of water and indiscriminate disposal of often toxic waste into water, we will do a projection of all water sources and project what would be available in a worst case scenario. Decisions would then have to be made to discontinue some of the uses we have for water so that essential water needs during worst case scenarios would not jeopardise our water security for human needs.
- FRACKING MUST BE STOPPED. We need that water supply to be uncontaminated and available for the coming emergencies.
- .Industries will be rationalised, so that we do not spend water on any superfluous needs.
- Stop tanning of leather and any other industry in which there is no way of recovering from the toxins produced during its production.
- Initially – Introduction of Environmental Impact tax exactly equal to the cost of undoing any damage done to the environment will make it impossible to defile water unless there is a way of removing whatever waste or toxins you put into the water ( also into soil and air) and unless there is a process of removal of those toxins. and you can afford to pay for this to take place,
This will make many current industries unviable, but we must accept doing without those products as we cannot accept ongoing pollution of our very scarce precious water. This will probably mean the end of gold mining, but what use is our love of gold, etc. if we are dead because of the toxins and atmospheric waste we are generating.
- We need to stop mining until the following deadly problem is overcome
As the miners create new tunnels in mines, the newly exposed sulphur in the rock is exposed and if the water level in the mine rises due to being pumped out too late that water dissolves the sulphur to form sulphuric acid. This water is then pumped out into old mine shafts which are now full This results in the acid mine drainage flowing out of the shaft into the river systems e.g. the Vaal.
The treatment process to recover the gold from the ore requires cyanide and this ends up in the ore dump. Rain from the ore dump picks up the cyanide and enters the storm water and thus the rivers.
- South Africa’s largely disfunctional sewerage and waste water treatment plants are discharging raw sewerage with dangerous ecoli bacteria and heavy metals into the rivers and wetlands as well. They must be closed as soon as the alternative suggested above is put in place.
- Polyamine ( containing lethal epichloridine) must not continue to be used as a water purifying agent and yet it is a proven carcinogen for animals. ( unknown effect on humans) This must be discontinued.
- Removal from circulation and banning of the production of all chemicals and products that contain substances which are carcinogenic, neurotoxins, or dangerous to human or planet health.
- Initiation of new industries to replace the function of dangerous or dangerous chemicals. Bear in mind that no testing explains the effect of a chemical on the quantities and combinations that it ends up in human bodies and in the environment.
- Battery farming will be stopped which will relieve the necessity of irrigating crops for the nearly half of arable land in use currently for growing food for battery farmed animals. This will save almost 28% of South African water.
- Industries using water will be required to filter, purify and reuse the same water.
NEW WATER PRODUCTION
- Sea water desalination powered by solar energy will be in use in dry coastal areas.
- The air to water technology solar powered will be used produce pure water out of the air within 400 kilometers of the coast in remote areas. It will also be used in emergency drinking water needs.
- Water catchment areas will be brought back to life. Top predators which control the balance in ecosystems which are often water catchment areas must be protected and re-introduced where necessary.
- Dams will be protected from contamination and silting up .
- Water will be collected from rooves. All grey water will be sent onto gardens directly or collected in rainwater tanks, e.g. 2000 m2 roof keeps a 100 000 liter tank constantly overflowing in fairly dry areas.
- Emergency plumbing squads will be set up in every town with access to spares. All plumbers will be required to be retrained and tested to be sure that those working with the containment of such a precious resource are able to do the job in a way which will not lead to unnecessary bursts and leaks. Its is a dying art and the poee quality of workmanship and cheap quality matyerials are at the root of the problem.
- Use of boreholes will be regulated so that water tables remain high for emergency use. All existing agriculture in areas which is depleting the water table faster than it is being renewed will be stopped.
- Reforestation with indigenoue trees for the protection of water. Trees regulate the flow of water into the rivers, preventing floods and then drying up of rivers. Deforestation in any form leads to floods and then dry rivers.
- Soils will be covered by vegetation or stones to prevent evaporation. Only underground drip irrigation will be permitted.
PREVENTION OF POLLUTION
- Industry will not be allowed to emit waste into rivers, or aquifers, even if this means that we do without the products produced by that industry. Water is more important.
- Research will be undertaken into methods of purifying already contaminated water in rivers, lakes, bays and aquifers. All decontamination processes will be paid for by the contaminating company
- Research and implementation into methods of detoxification of rivers, dams, sea and aquifers and methods of revitalisation of water..